Electricity Supply Industry Workplace Health and Safety Strategy 2016 - 2020
Health and Safety is paramount within the Electricity Supply Industry (ESI). The industry Workplace Health and Safety Strategy to 2020 aims to lift electricity supply industry health and safety performance through vision, direction and co-ordinated action into the future. The Strategy builds on the previous strategy, the new H&S legislative framework and the work towards safety excellence by industry stakeholders, other industries, employee organisations and safety research groups. The Strategy is a living document that will be regularly reviewed.
The EEA welcomes comment or suggestion from industry, regulators and other stakeholders with a view to better realising the safety vision for the New Zealand electricity supply industry.
Health and Safety Strategy 2016 - 2020
“Our vision is to unite the electricity supply industry in a common goal to make our workplaces safer”
The goal is to eliminate fatalities and significantly reduce severe accidents to electricity supply industry workers.
The Electricity Supply Industry will reduce harm through:
- Focusing on significant hazard and risk areas including fatal, high impact low probability (HILP) and occupational health risks,
- Supporting our industry officers and PCBUs to exercise due diligence duties under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of workers,
- Promoting engagement and participation from workers and engagement between PCBUs.
- Supporting standardisation, implementation and continuous improvement in the identification, assessment and management of industry health and safety hazards and risks
- Publishing and maintaining industry rules and guides.
The Electricity Supply Industry will support and facilitate the provision of:
- up to date knowledge of workplace health and safety matters;
- common understanding of industry hazards and risks;
- information on resources and processes to assist industry eliminate or minimise health and safety risks;
- timely sharing of information on incidents, hazards and risks;
- processes to assist PCBUs with compliance;
- common audit frameworks for verification.
To view and/or download the 'ESI Workplace Health and Safety Strategy 2016 - 2020' document click on the icon below.
Previous Workplace Safety Strategy - 2008
Safety is paramount within the electricity supply industry. The industry Workplace Safety Strategy to 2020 developed under the auspices of the EEA outlines the industry health and safety vision, aims and aspirations extending to 2020. The statement identifies focus areas to fulfill these aspirations, and the aim is to lift electricity supply industry safety performance through vision, direction and co-ordinated action into the future. The Strategy builds on the existing legislative framework, Government's Workplace Health & Safety Strategy and the work towards safety excellence by industry stakeholders, other industries, employee organisations and safety research groups. The Strategy is a living document that will be regularly reviewed.